CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:35 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I have had the wrong idea regarding "crafting" and CoS. I believe i now understand how it will (mostly not) be done, at least in the stereotypical sense, excluding the customisation part, which yes, does seem to be quite extensive.
The question however that arises is...if all that is so, what do players do when they want a break? It happens, and will so more and more often the more they have played. Sometimes you just need a break from killing things, period. No matter how good the scenario leading you to them. It is where secondary activities, hobbies, races, or you name it come in..again, usually. Are there any such features within CoS? If not planned for launch, i am fully aware of what a low budget entails, are they something that will be looked on in the future?

And if i may ask a second one..
Will there be a (typical) rewarding system for the completion of quests? And if so, will it be one providing let us say "material" items, or one that could additionally grant ability tomes, or other forms of knowledge/lore-related pieces otherwise unavailable?
(If you need a reasoning behind this one, it would be my trying to figure the extent of freedom one may take advantage of within the game, i.e. to take it to the extreme, zero campaigns, zero questing outside what a League may ask, and even that, only so that one may learn some abilities..aka "sandboxing" it to the extreme)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:33 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Max wrote:
I have had the wrong idea regarding "crafting" and CoS. I believe i now understand how it will (mostly not) be done, at least in the stereotypical sense, excluding the customisation part, which yes, does seem to be quite extensive.
The question however that arises is...if all that is so, what do players do when they want a break? It happens, and will so more and more often the more they have played. Sometimes you just need a break from killing things, period. No matter how good the scenario leading you to them. It is where secondary activities, hobbies, races, or you name it come in..again, usually. Are there any such features within CoS? If not planned for launch, i am fully aware of what a low budget entails, are they something that will be looked on in the future?

And if i may ask a second one..
Will there be a (typical) rewarding system for the completion of quests? And if so, will it be one providing let us say "material" items, or one that could additionally grant ability tomes, or other forms of knowledge/lore-related pieces otherwise unavailable?
(If you need a reasoning behind this one, it would be my trying to figure the extent of freedom one may take advantage of within the game, i.e. to take it to the extreme, zero campaigns, zero questing outside what a League may ask, and even that, only so that one may learn some abilities..aka "sandboxing" it to the extreme)

There are LOTS of things to do when you don't want to kill things. But, also remember that not all our Quests involve killing things. These are full stories, though combat is possible in all of them, it is not the only way to solve many objectives.

Still, if you want a break from Questing all together, that's also possible. There will be races, and mini-games. There are things like Bounty Hunting and Monster trapping (which doesn't involve killing). There are things like gambling, card games, theater (to watch, or put on yourself). There are races to watch and bet on, or races that you can run (or Guild against Guild races). There are Balls to attend (though you will need to earn an invitation, and you would have to come dressed appropriately, no rusty armor!)

There are murder mysteries to solve, exploration of ancient ruins or discovery of new geography. Many things...

As to your second question:

Rewards come in all kinds of sizes and shapes (everything you listed). As for 'sand boxing' this is very possible, though you won't want to avoid all Quests (they are the heart of the game, and you would be denying yourself the main fun of CoS if you did). Just remember, you have never been on a Quest in another MMORPG, you have just been doing grocery lists.

Our world is a changing living place, and even when you are not on a Quest, you can just wander the country and run into things to do. Every day is different, but there are always things to find out there. We call these 'Adventures', and you just go run into them, or read about things that are going on in the CoS Newspaper and then go try to find it. You can also jump into a Crisis when it happens, just look for a Herald announcing one in a town square, then go to the nearest portal and head for what he said is happening at that moment in the RWs.

You will probably want to do at least some Quests though, since these are the fastest way to gain access to the next Tier. You have to impress the Sorcerer of this Tier before he will give you the opportunity to try and earn access to the next higher Tier, and completing Quests or Missions is the fastest way to do that.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Thank you for the swift response :)

Seems i am covered..very pleasantly so too if i may say so ^^
/happy puppy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:14 am 
Hero of the Citadel

[Raises hand and pats the puppy]

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 am 
Citadel Guardian

Theater?! Omg! As an actor this will really be an interesting feature to explore!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Rakky, our Sound Director is a theater person too, only backstage. The large theater on tier 1 is named for her.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:11 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Celimah wrote:
Hey Rakky, our Sound Director is a theater person too, only backstage. The large theater on tier 1 is named for her.

Hahaha, that's very sweet of you guys. Every person in the theater environment knows that's a very high recognition! :)

I know now where I will spend my time in catharsis when I'm not throwing magic elements to a bunch of bandits or slashing a few of Morphael's creations. :p

Let's see if I can earn my big break in RW and get an agent! The Eyes of Darkness her self will visit the theater. :p

LOL!

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry Rakky, but you really, really don't want the Eyes of Darkness to visit the theater when you perform. If she doesn't like the performance, well... she is not known for her kind and forgiving disposition.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Then isnt it better to make sure she will like it.....

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can but choose to try and take the consequences, deadly though they may be.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play