CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:16 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Looking at the usually "un-reality" based economy in most MMOs, I was just wondering (without revealing too much if it's "not an appropriate time" to discuss)
A) Do NPC merchants actually use an "economy" system to distribute goods.
example: I get some decent loot off a bandit and take it to a small town shop. He might say "I'll give ya a quarter what it's worth", then put it up for full price .... if it doesn't sell it gets sold to a traveling merchant going to a more appropriate location to sell it.
So there's actually a logical system of sales. True, local NPCs may keep him in stock of "local" items but anything above that is brought in by adventurers.
..... along the same line, I get a very lucky loot item from that bandit and I go to sell it and the merchant says "Sorry, I won't be able to sell that. You'd best find a higher level merchant. (with more onhand cash)

B) Is there an Auction House system, or is it a player owned shop system? Does this "bypass" the economy system you have in place.

Curious minds want to know .... well OK, silly minds slowly morphing into mush from lack of sleep want to know.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm 
Fallen Hero

I would find funny not to have an HA. Wile it is simple to use, it turns the economy around too much. Having merchants selling what players sell to them and having prices change according to that, seams to be much more interesting. Players could even rent a stand on the market and sell stuff by themselves.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:52 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

It has already been stated that players would be able to start shops. Just wondering how realistic the mercantile economy was.
:P

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:29 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

The use of economy would actually be an interesting idea, but I wouldn't mind it not to be implemented since the game is so massive already. You are right though, it would be pretty interesting.

To be honest I would rather see an AH. It's a big pet peeve of mine when a game doesn't, it usually has VERY spammy channels where you don't even have the chance to scroll up to find what you want, and with CoS you would want to REALLY consider every weapon and armor piece you buy since it has many more variables than just damage and defense. Another scenario would be this:

It's been stated earlier that player run shops provide services rather than items, just saying.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:16 pm 
Producer
Producer

Phil talked about the economy a bit in this article on Massively:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/12 ... reveals-a/

When you sell an item to an NPC vendor, you develop a rapport with them. The more you sell to them, the more they'll like you and eventually they'll show you items "from the back" which are good items other players have sold them.

Item that are not sold back to players are eventually sent to the live auctions. These live auctions are run by NPCs, but you have to physically be there in person to bid by raise your hand to bid. You can browse the auctions ahead of time to know what you want to bid on.

There is also a more traditional auction system where players place items up for auction, others can search and bid or buy them.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:13 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Thanks Morphael.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:19 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I wanted to comment on that there, but me and their site don't mix.
I find it a very smart move, as it will indirectly influense the players' pricings, making them a touch less..arbitrary..a good thing considering inflation in most MMOs over the course of time.

Once again you're showing you've thought things through alright :)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 am 
Fallen Hero

The only part I don't like is the traditional AH. I would ban it for good since it can have a strong influence and corrupting power over the economy. Free market systems like the AH are utopias, those never work.

I'll wait to see if the other systems can control the AH or if in the end the AH will end up controlling the economy.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:17 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Dragonhand wrote:
The only part I don't like is the traditional AH. I would ban it for good since it can have a strong influence and corrupting power over the economy. Free market systems like the AH are utopias, those never work.

I'll wait to see if the other systems can control the AH or if in the end the AH will end up controlling the economy.

True but look at it like this, would you rather live your story in a game that has story as a focal point or stand in one place for hours every day spamming the chat channel hoping someone would buy your sword? I've seen games without AH that had pretty horrible economy, while EVE has one and has the best economy I've seen in a game.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:00 am 
Citadel Guardian

Yeah, but in Eve, most of the modules, ships and things in between are player-crafted by industrialists pilots. From what I understand, we will not have as much control over industrialism in CoS.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play