CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I totally see where you are coming from, but on the other hand, player auction houses could actually add to the gaming experience. AFK or offline shops don't add much socially, as they are AFK where you don't get to chat anyway, and standing somewhere spamming your goods for hours is just time that could be spent adventuring and doing all the fun things. I personally would take that over a brief encounter of "would you care to sell this for less?".

There are other social aspects to CoS that could compensate for the potential loss of socializing due to the auction system. There are pubs, places for adventurers to meet and look for groups, a bathhouse where you dress the part, a place for player vs player mini games, a real time auction house where you stand with other players and physically bid on an item, a theater where you could actually direct your own plays, hold weddings (and pass around invitation cards), a whole district full of fun things to do, real time holidays, events and parties as the calendar year moves on, a very robust guild system, a range of PvP activities in the arena where you could do more than just bash someone's face in, a whole planet-sized reflected world where you get to do big tasks in big groups... etc

With all the choice available you are bound to interact with someone somewhere while doing something, and the importance of forced social interaction due to a lack of auction system becomes almost trivial. That being said, there would still be players who advertise their goods and sell face to face. Those in a hurry would sell to NPC, those who are not would sell in auction houses, those who like to maximize profit/time would sell face to face (at least that's what I've personally noticed in some games with auction houses).

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I guess my main concern is that I have only once really seen an auction house implemented that didn't end up dwarfing all other options due to its vast superiority in terms of overhead and time efficiency. In Wizardry Online they severely limit the number of auction slots you have. To me this is a workable approach, it allows players the no fuss trading of an AH, without eliminating other trade methods. We'll have to see, what they have on slate for us.

My only real fear is that the brokerage will kill the viability of face trading, and live auctions. I am also pretty certain I am not alone when I say that a common issue, which to me is comforting. This team seems to take great pride in solving issues that have plagued the genre the last decade.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:10 am 

trancefate wrote:
I guess my main concern is that I have only once really seen an auction house implemented that didn't end up dwarfing all other options due to its vast superiority in terms of overhead and time efficiency. In Wizardry Online they severely limit the number of auction slots you have. To me this is a workable approach, it allows players the no fuss trading of an AH, without eliminating other trade methods. We'll have to see, what they have on slate for us.

My only real fear is that the brokerage will kill the viability of face trading, and live auctions. I am also pretty certain I am not alone when I say that a common issue, which to me is comforting. This team seems to take great pride in solving issues that have plagued the genre the last decade.

The key point here and it is a very important one ; Items that do not sell are destroyed.... This in one simple step stops people dominating the market. Or if they do they will be dominating it with low cost items to ensure they sell.
In this game you can quest to improve your items.

On top of this you need to wait and see how this all develops ; You will like the system CoS has I am pretty sure of it. I have a gut feel that good items will be sold face to face and will never get to the AH beacuse of the time and effort put into the item. Other threads discuss some of this.

Did Wizardry online destroy items that didn't sell; I should remember i played the open beta for a few days but i cant... ?

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:17 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Isane wrote:
trancefate wrote:

The key point here and it is a very important one ; Items that do not sell are destroyed.... This in one simple step stops people dominating the market. Or if they do they will be dominating it with low cost items to ensure they sell.
In this game you can quest to improve your items.

On top of this you need to wait and see how this all develops ; You will like the system CoS has I am pretty sure of it. I have a gut feel that good items will be sold face to face and will never get to the AH beacuse of the time and effort put into the item. Other threads discuss some of this.

Did Wizardry online destroy items that didn't sell; I should remember i played the open beta for a few days but i cant... ?

No it didn't but it limited you to a handful of slots (2-4 if I remember correctly)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:16 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Isane is partially correct...however the items that get destroyed if they don't sell are the items that are sold to the vendors, not the items that players may choose to place in the Auction Hall. We do, however, have other mechanisms in place to try to keep players from dominating the economy and continuously trying to sell the same item by lowering the price.

One of the biggest things we do is make our game extraordinarily deep, immersive, and fun. I've found that many "economy based" games, even games that weren't meant to be economy based, become that way because players are bored with the lack of content. They start "farming" because they have nothing better to do.

We are trying to emphasize the fact that the players in our game are Heroes. Heroes don't really spend much time trying to short sell...or trying to have more gold than other players. There are things in our game worth much more than gold...things that you can only get by going around the world doing Hero type activities.

Without giving too much detail, I think that players will find that the best way to dominate in our game is to adventure.

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Raevyn is alluding to another kind of 'wealth' system in CoS, the details of which we haven't released yet. This is something that cannot be farmed... by anyone. We're keeping that system under wraps until we get to open testing, so be patient. All I can tell you is that it is far more important than 'money', and cannot be farmed, nor will the AH have any affect on it. Players will have to earn this by Adventuring, it's the only way to get ahead in this system. :geek:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 pm 
Producer
Producer

I'd like to take credit for the system... oh.. ok, yeah. I'll take credit for it.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 pm 

Morphael wrote:
I'd like to take credit for the system... oh.. ok, yeah. I'll take credit for it.

I am sure Jatar will tweak it somehow ... "Evil Laugh Echoes ........." or should that be a twisted one in the face of Evil who knows anymore...

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lies as usual Morphael.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:02 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Hyperjudge wrote:
Yeah, but in Eve, most of the modules, ships and things in between are player-crafted by industrialists pilots. From what I understand, we will not have as much control over industrialism in CoS.

Actually, nearly every item in CoS is created by players. Now, we don't do it from scratch, but it's basically the same thing. There are mundane objects (almost everything you ever find will be mundane). These have a potential value. Players turn that potential into what they want through various means (our Crafting by Adventure system). This means that given the same mundane sword, with the same potential, two players would make that sword into two different magical swords.

Our system allows all items to be Crafted by players into what they want, what it doesn't do is allow a player to mass produce a particular item. We want items to be more unique, so our system leads toward that goal.

Once Crafted into a Magical Item players can do various things with their item. Use it, sell it to players, sell it to merchants, give it, trade it, or destroy it (thus pulling some useful trait out of it for use in another item).

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play