CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:16 am 

Wyndyn wrote:
Similar to what Max posted, the MAIN spoiler of a game economy is the ability to buy and sell monetary units (Gold) OFFLINE. Lose that ability and people don't have enough money to support high priced Auctions.
The easiest (and probably the most controversial) way would to implement a "no cash trade between players" economy. This would include mailing cash but not influence the Auction House.
You could trade (barter) items, but no cash. A player with multiple characters could have a bank slot to trade items and/or cash to HIS alternate characters.

With this policy/engine it would make gold farmers work a LOT harder. They could only "buy and sell" items offline. If supply and demand works without "gold-seller" interference, they deserve to pay exorbitant prices.

I always liked the auction system where if an item is not sold then it is destroyed not returned to the person who put it up for Auction.

This led to a lot of people dealing direct to others , as well as regulating what people could reasonabley place items for sale at when offline. ( An ammount of tax charged upfront was also a good form to disuade people trying to dominate a market if such a thing exists in CoS).

I am hoping the Devs here have a cleverly thought out system so people can get rewarded but not at the expense of the game.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:36 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Isane wrote:
Wyndyn wrote:
Similar to what Max posted, the MAIN spoiler of a game economy is the ability to buy and sell monetary units (Gold) OFFLINE. Lose that ability and people don't have enough money to support high priced Auctions.
The easiest (and probably the most controversial) way would to implement a "no cash trade between players" economy. This would include mailing cash but not influence the Auction House.
You could trade (barter) items, but no cash. A player with multiple characters could have a bank slot to trade items and/or cash to HIS alternate characters.

With this policy/engine it would make gold farmers work a LOT harder. They could only "buy and sell" items offline. If supply and demand works without "gold-seller" interference, they deserve to pay exorbitant prices.

I always liked the auction system where if an item is not sold then it is destroyed not returned to the person who put it up for Auction.

This led to a lot of people dealing direct to others , as well as regulating what people could reasonabley place items for sale at when offline. ( An ammount of tax charged upfront was also a good form to disuade people trying to dominate a market if such a thing exists in CoS).

I am hoping the Devs here have a cleverly thought out system so people can get rewarded but not at the expense of the game.

We have a system for the game that solves a lot of the issues in Gold farming. We aren't releasing that information out there because it's just too good!

To quote Dumbledore, 'Ah, now, I'm glad you asked me about that. It was one of my more brilliant ideas, and between you and me, that's saying something. ...My brain surprises even me sometimes.'

I'm a legend in my own mind.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

...and becoming one in mine also. :D

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:17 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

*It seems there will be an auction house. I strongly believe that auction houses have ruined MMORPG's since their advent in mainstream gaming with the Luclin expansion pack. They have done so by removing a core social element of player to player trading from games, and granting liquidity to third party gold farmers/sellers.

-The player who loots a shiny new item and finds someone else who could use it to trade/barter with, has a rewarding experience.

-The player who loots a shiny new item and then goes to the broker searches its pricing, prices it in accordance with the other ones just like it, sells it, collects the money, searches the auction again for something they want to spend their money on, purchases that item, then picks that item up, has a less rewarding time.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:08 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

trancefate wrote:
*It seems there will be an auction house. I strongly believe that auction houses have ruined MMORPG's since their advent in mainstream gaming with the Luclin expansion pack. They have done so by removing a core social element of player to player trading from games, and granting liquidity to third party gold farmers/sellers.

-The player who loots a shiny new item and finds someone else who could use it to trade/barter with, has a rewarding experience.

-The player who loots a shiny new item and then goes to the broker searches its pricing, prices it in accordance with the other ones just like it, sells it, collects the money, searches the auction again for something they want to spend their money on, purchases that item, then picks that item up, has a less rewarding time.

I don't disagree with you BUT:

Many people want Auction houses or something similar in games for two specific reasons.

1. Leaving your computer on to vendor while you are not playing cost you elektricity. It's not much but over time, many will probably play this game for years, it will add up.

2. The more afk vendor shops there are the more the servers will lag for people. Less people = less lag

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Aryanna wrote:
trancefate wrote:

I don't disagree with you BUT:

Many people want Auction houses or something similar in games for two specific reasons.

1. Leaving your computer on to vendor while you are not playing cost you elektricity. It's not much but over time, many will probably play this game for years, it will add up.

2. The more afk vendor shops there are the more the servers will lag for people. Less people = less lag

While I am not particularly opposed to player stores being up while players are logged out / afk, they would need to be handled with a little more control than recent games have. Similar to how EQ1 had a designated area that you would purchase (remember, this is going to be a planet).

That being said, it is not what I was suggesting :) I personally am satisfied with face to face trading only, I only wish that of all the other alternative trading methods that they may add to the game, an auction house was not one of them.

Also, do people still turn their PC's off?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Ah okay sorry miss understood.

And yes, there are people who switch comps off overnight. I know a lot of people who do it and am personally one too. If I don't have to keep it on mine gets switched off.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:15 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

CoS is all about choice. In every case where someone wants to limit those choices to their personal preference, we always note that there is an equally passionate group pleading for the opposite. We prefer to offer both options. In this case we let players trade directly if that is their wish, or sell via a player auction system, or sell directly to NPC venders. Items sold to venders are put up for sale at a higher price, if they don't sell at that price they are sent to a live auction, where players must be present to bid via emote. Items not sold at auction, if any, are destroyed. There are no player run stores selling items. Anyway, that's our system. Players choose how to sell their stuff.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 am 

trancefate wrote:

As Jatar has stated I think you will like the system they have.

Trancelate; I love your viewpoint here and is something I couldn't have written better myself... I guess not everyone likes communicating, building in game relationships and reputation as a trusted trader.

A Key element in CoS that is important is that you are a Fallen Hero, of the Blood no commoner.

You can also own shops that provide services, not just items. I think the depth of the design in this game may lead to a different approach to what you do with items lets see...

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:10 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Please note that though Isane says there are player owned shops (and there are) they cannot sell items, they only provide services.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play