CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:30 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Afgad wrote:
I read all of this, and I liked it, but then I thought "What's the learning curve on all of this stuff?"

Seems like it could get pretty steep.

I imagine that the learning curve is only steep due the the fact that players do not like to think for themselves anymore. They like games that just give them what they need to perform at 85% capacity of everyone else. This game will be no different in that regard, as I'm sure there will be guides on the internet before closed beta ends telling other people how to build there character for the "best" build.

However chances are these "best" builds that people give others will be very mediocre compared to someone who actually looks at the abilities and decides what they think would work best with their friends and guilds. This will also probably allow for hidden gem abilities that people won't realize their full potential because they are a tier 6 ability in one league and it seems fairly weak until you tie it in with a tier 4 ability in a completely different league, and suddenly its overpowered. This game will reward the people that actually think of how to manipulate the tools that are available instead of just reading up on how to play the class they want.

I am very very excited for arena PvP and how it will play out. I'm sure we will see something like a build 2 years after the game is released that completely stomps everyone that PvPs with a cookie cutter build. And no one can counter it because he has had 2 years to get his skills up to that point and the abilities that counter his are rarely skilled if at all.

The taking 100 skill ups to get to the diminishing returns makes me think that when you skill up an ability that fears, the fear isn't what is scaling though. Because the duration either is worthless at rank 1-30, or its crazy OP passed 70.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:48 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

there are five leagues, seven Tiers, and 54 abilities per league per Tier

Let’s pretend that all Abilities kicked in at 100 for the first reduction, just for arguments sake.
If you applied all 4 study points to the same Ability, that means it would take 100/4, or 25 levels to get a single Ability to reach the first reduction. Each level takes 3 hours, so that is 75 hours of play.

=============================================
75 hours =1 abilities
54 abilities x 75 hours = league per Tier
54 abilities x 75 hours x 7 tiers = league
54 abilities x 75 hours x 5 leagues = 1 Tiers

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:10 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

It's alright, seems like you have until retirement to learn how to play :)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:39 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Also note that though you don't technically have to reach the point of diminishing returns (see above), even if you do it doesn't mean you can't continue to advance the Ability, advancement just slows a bit. This is far better than a cap.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:29 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Can't we also get skills to go up by working them while leveling? How many points can we potentially advance a skill when we work on it during the 3 hours spent earning a level? Providing the player in question is currently enrolled in the league the skill came from, of course.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:02 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Lonfer wrote:
Can't we also get skills to go up by working them while leveling? How many points can we potentially advance a skill when we work on it during the 3 hours spent earning a level? Providing the player in question is currently enrolled in the league the skill came from, of course.

Yes, there is a system that let's you advance Abilities via practice.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

So, the more we use a skill the stronger it gets also?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:43 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

squishy wrote:
So, the more we use a skill the stronger it gets also?

To a point, yes. But you can only gain one point of practice per point of study added, otherwise players would script unlimited advancement.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:02 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Seems fair :)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:11 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Afgad wrote:
I read all of this, and I liked it, but then I thought "What's the learning curve on all of this stuff?"

Seems like it could get pretty steep.

It seems like it because we're discussing it in a forum thread and things always seem more complicated here.

When you're in game, you will have +/-3 hours in between each level that you can look at your abilities, go to the University and study some of the different Cadres, or "road maps", if you will, of abilities to help you make a choice. You can also go to the leagues and try out/have the abilities demonstrated so you can get an idea of what they do.

When you open your user interface and view your Codex, you can look at your abilities one by one and click forward to see what putting points into an ability will do exactly. It will be broken down very clearly.

To put it simply - players will not really be shown all of this math in game. They won't really even need to know about diminishing returns, or any of the more complex nuances of the game. They'll be able to search all of the abilities by keywords to find something that may be useful. (For example: Heal will bring up any ability that gives you back HP, or Night Vision, etc.). We're doing our best to make sure that players won't ever have to alt tab from the game and "google" the best way to do something. Nothing breaks immersion like a google search ;)

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play