CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: NPC lives and schedules
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:30 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Sorry if this has been asked already and if so please direct me to the right place but I was just wondering if regular npc's like townsfolk and guards and other people you can interact with will have their own personal lives and schedules and their own personal interactions with other npc's. Something I've never really liked about mmo's is that npc's are just...well they're just there. They usually either stand in one place forever for everyone to find them, or if they're less important sometimes they just walk around in circles or from point A to point B. It doesn't really make the world feel alive.

The best example I can think of is The Elder Scrolls series. NPC's all have their own schedules. They will sleep, eat lunch, hang out with other certain npc's, go to chapels, or go to an inn to drink with others, visit certain buildings and go to certain places based on that npc's personality. Some npc's were better friends with other npc's so they talked to them and hung out with them more often. It just made the world feel very alive and it was always really cool to know that while I was adventuring, these npc's everywhere would still be doing this even if I wasn't in the area. I even heard the Radiant AI they were making for Oblivion originally allowed some npc's to rob other npcs.

I know an mmo is a totally different type of game from that though so it will have way more limitations. I also know that the AI in CoS is already made so npc's in towns will all react to you in different ways. But will they all just stay in one place or constantly walk from one place to another? Or will they have their own schedules and personalities and will they have relationships with other npc's and hang out in certain groups and talk to certain people? I think it would just make the world a lot more alive and organic. I am really pumped for this game and any info on it :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Yeah ive read somewhere they will have "full lives". But i dont think there is much detail about this as they still use placeholder npcs.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:14 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Here are a few links that might help answer your question:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2180&

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2143&

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2101&

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Those are all good discussions to read, but I will just answer directly, yes, all npcs have lives, jobs, friends, activities, and go about their lives every day. Even the placeholder npcs already do this, the part that is placeholder is their looks, but they already go about their daily lives.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:58 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Thanks for the answer!:) I REALLY like that npc's will do that. That by itself already makes CoS far beyond any other game in my eyes. I was also reading another thread on a similar topic and Jatar you said that if you killed an npc on a lot of Reflected worlds, it was more likely they would die on several others. So will the actions we do in one Reflected world indirectly impact the others in some way, sort of like a ripple effect?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:57 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Smolgen wrote:
That by itself already makes CoS far beyond any other game in my eyes.

I soo agree

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:46 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Smolgen wrote:
Thanks for the answer!:) I REALLY like that npc's will do that. That by itself already makes CoS far beyond any other game in my eyes. I was also reading another thread on a similar topic and Jatar you said that if you killed an npc on a lot of Reflected worlds, it was more likely they would die on several others. So will the actions we do in one Reflected world indirectly impact the others in some way, sort of like a ripple effect?

Yes, but don't think about it too much or you will go blind ;)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

We want player action to matter, so your actions will change your personal story, but at times, also effect all the Reflected Worlds, even if this is in a subtle way.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play