CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: Create a ingame name
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:28 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Mythology Names
Greek Myth , Aztec Myth , Norse Myth , those your can ( Google ) or input ( Myth Name ) in Google , there should be some options to find a good name in this way , to avoid a insane crazy stupid ( name )
we will run with our name forever , so think twice before your decide a name , and even baby names will work too
i read in another topic somewhere , other player have been in other games , and meet ppl with bad names and so on , including my self , so whatever your Guys and gals can Google of names , it mabye
will make your more satisfied in the long run while playing to have a good name , use the inside of head before make a choise of name
this was only meant as an idea to grow bigger

Keep us Young and we still going strong / Keep us Weak and we going to sleep

Post subject: Re: Create a ingame name
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:12 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I agree we should have a button so I can randomly generate a name with the format of (Adjective)(Noun) Frozen Poptart and Pregnant Rhino are some of my favorite names. I find silly names more fun when they are in stereotypical native american style which I always liked ever since I watched peter pan as a small child.

Also its much easier for me to find people that are fun to play with based on their name. I can say with probably 99% certainty that a player named Sacrificial Cardboard will be more fun for me to play with then any of the 20 mispellings of legolas running around.

Also "insane crazy stupid" names as you call them may seem silly to the person that didn't make them. However the person that made them probably enjoys the name as it was something they themselves created, and would be running around as CloudSephiroth even if this name generator is there.

I have never come across anyone in any game I have played that has ever shown dislike for me based on my name choice. Although I did get the name Evilbunny on the list of banned usernames in Vanguard because of their "Only real sounding names" policy they had in closed beta...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:20 pm 

I think Naraka means to have a generator, only for proper mythical sounding names. CoS having a first and last name means that trying to name yourself "Pregnant Rhino" would be awkward, cause you can either name yourself Pregnant Rhino, in which case, people would only see you as pregnant, untill another pregnant was around. The other option is to give yourself another name to put as a last name, which would be weird. Hi, my name is PregnantRhino CloudSephiroth. Yeah, i don't think so.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:48 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

You cant see the last name at all times? This seems like an odd choice. What would be the reasoning for this? Calling sitting bull just sitting sounds odd to me. Unless you are talking strictly npc dialog which seems like it would be fine as that would be a choice of practicality to save space in a text box.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:38 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Well we all could announce our last names here and make sure we meet each other in games based on them last names...
Mine's gonna be deviLz a name I have used in all the games i have played so far...

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:56 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Evilbunny wrote:
You cant see the last name at all times? This seems like an odd choice. What would be the reasoning for this? Calling sitting bull just sitting sounds odd to me. Unless you are talking strictly npc dialog which seems like it would be fine as that would be a choice of practicality to save space in a text box.

The reasoning behind that is reality. Does everyone always call you by your first and last name currently? That would seem odd to me. In Western culture (sorry, but I'm from that, and being the Lead Designer, well, you get stuff I like) the point of having a first and last name instead of just one name is so that you have your name, and a family name. The family name is only used in official circumstances, most of the time you are only called by your first name.

This is how the game is approaching First and Last names. I would find it extremely odd to have someone say, "Hey, Phil Blood, pass me the mustard!" and constantly use my first and last (family) name.

The reasoning behind showing only the first name most of the time and last name only at special times, is simply this, being a game, and having your character name signifying your character file as well as your character's name, we have to make sure that all character names are unique. So, in the case of wanting to be called Evilbunny (for a random example) you would want to make that your first name. But, what happens when another person comes along that wants to be called Evilbunny? They now have to be Evilbunny2. I'm not a fan of numbers on names, and having Evilbunny8347. Because we do not have assigned servers, it also means that every player can potentially be on the same world in the same place, as every other player (hopefully millions of players). This causes trouble in the naming convention.

The solution was to add a last name. This acts (replaces) the 'number' added to a name. So instead of Evilbunny3564665, your name might be Evilbunny Darkear. Now, the name you really wanted to be called is Evilbunny, the last name is just a modifier that makes your full name (first + last) unique. You get to be Evilbunny, and that's what people will call you, which is one reason we only show the first name. That IS the name you wanted to be called.

Now, the only problem with this is when two people who both use the first name of Evilbunny run into each other in the world. You walk into a tavern, and there are six Evilbunny patrons at the bar. Unlikely to happen, sure, possible? Yes.

At that time, and that time only, we append the last names to the displayed player name so that those present can tell them apart. As soon as there are no duplicate first names, we hide the last name again.

This is the default.

However! There is an option to always show first and last name, you just have to tick the check box.

One final note, there will only be one of every First and Last name combinations, but no limit to how many people use the same first name, or the same last name.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:58 am 
Citadel Recruit

I only post this (Create a ingame name )to tell that Google is an easy way to find better names ,( myth, legend. baby,historical ,cartoon, etc) ( NAMES ) WorldWide . so if any other knew a site with names on please give a reply or a link , this was not meant to confuse any , this is all about to find good names , after all we will have the name of a life time , i was never talk of a name generator .

i hope this cleared it up.

Keep us Young and we still going Strong Keep us Weak and we going to Sleep

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:29 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
having your character name signifying your character file as well as your character's name, we have to make sure that all character names are unique

I always wonder why games still key the character files to the name. It results in all kinds of awkward stuff like:
- "Nope, someone else got it first"
- "Our DB backend can't handle äs, 's, ês and stuff like that in a PKey" (don't know if that's still an issue)
- "Can't make a cool character now, gotta go grab that name first" <- this one is a big problem

Plus, when you delete your character but want to reuse the name, you can't do it until the "grace period" is over and if that deletion happens by accident (or by malicious intent from a hacker) and a second character was put above it, it makes it almost impossible to restore characters since everything is keyed to the name and trying to restore one character over the other would mess up the database. (Alternatively you could attempt to do some refactoring style work on a live system... have fun)

The only potential downsides to keying the files to a unique id or a name/account combination i see are:
- Confusion if you have 2 identically names chars in your group
- Trouble with whispering characters when they're online

Star Citizen solved these problems in a fairly elegant way:
- In addition to the login name, accounts have a second unique "community handle", which is used to identify the account for all public purposes (and will probably be also used for whisper chat)
- Because of that, character names do not have to be unique, there can be as many Haley Starshines as players want to play

It is a bit easier considering that the future setting naturally embraces the concept of a digital nickname, but I think with proper UI presentation that should still work. The question is if it fits your vision (that might actually be an issue here, since it takes you out of character in a setting without that justification).

I admit, I have a very strong opinion on that point, but I have encountered too many "Sorry, this name is already reserved" messages that made me kinda salty.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:10 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Please read my post above again. Our system is already designed to let everyone have the name they want. In my example the name the person wanted was Evilbunny. Everyone could name their character Evilbunny.

There last name becomes the method of making the entire name unique. I prefer this system over Star Citizen's because it allows a unique character name onscreen when needed, yet also allows everyone to name their character Frodo, Conan, or Bob, which is all that is needed in most cases.

This is the system that we are going with, regardless of what other games choose.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:13 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
This is the default.

However! There is an option to always show first and last name, you just have to tick the check box.

This fixes any issues I could have had with it. The way I was understanding is I couldn't ever see my last name unless there was another Evil standing in the near vicinity of me(under normal circumstances I name myself, Evil Bunny, when forced to have a last name like ffxiv.). Also even if I never use someone's last name in real life I like to know what it is. Thanks a ton for clarifying as always jatar as this check box makes me feel much better.

With the way you are handling npc dialog I will probably just make my last name a title or something. Evilbunny theInstigater sounds perfect to me. Looking forward to the game even more now :)

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play