CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: Re: Create a ingame name
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:25 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
Please read my post above again. Our system is already designed to let everyone have the name they want. In my example the name the person wanted was Evilbunny. Everyone could name their character Evilbunny.

There last name becomes the method of making the entire name unique. I prefer this system over Star Citizen's because it allows a unique character name onscreen when needed, yet also allows everyone to name their character Frodo, Conan, or Bob, which is all that is needed in most cases.

This is the system that we are going with, regardless of what other games choose.

It's just that I consider first and last name as part of the specific name I want (most of the time my characters follow this naming structure anyway, but that might be because I'm playing guild wars and that game encourages that stuff), meaning that if i want "Evilbunny Darkear" and someone already has that name, oh well... (that's very unlikely though)

This is just something I have a strong opinion about (although it's not a big issue to me, since your system is still good and likely will handle all cases well), please don't take it as an "i want your game to be like this..." rant as i
- am not a game designer
- have not been working on this with all the time and money i could spare for howmanyyearshasitbeennow?
- want a lot of things which are in some ways contradictory (at least until someone finds a very, very clever solution out of that).

Just take it as an opinion and some input to consider (which you did, thank you for that).

On an unrelated note, great stuff, keep it up (in general).

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:07 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

alexrobomind wrote:
Jatar wrote:
Please read my post above again. Our system is already designed to let everyone have the name they want. In my example the name the person wanted was Evilbunny. Everyone could name their character Evilbunny.

There last name becomes the method of making the entire name unique. I prefer this system over Star Citizen's because it allows a unique character name onscreen when needed, yet also allows everyone to name their character Frodo, Conan, or Bob, which is all that is needed in most cases.

This is the system that we are going with, regardless of what other games choose.

It's just that I consider first and last name as part of the specific name I want (most of the time my characters follow this naming structure anyway, but that might be because I'm playing guild wars and that game encourages that stuff), meaning that if i want "Evilbunny Darkear" and someone already has that name, oh well... (that's very unlikely though)

This is just something I have a strong opinion about (although it's not a big issue to me, since your system is still good and likely will handle all cases well), please don't take it as an "i want your game to be like this..." rant as i
- am not a game designer
- have not been working on this with all the time and money i could spare for howmanyyearshasitbeennow?
- want a lot of things which are in some ways contradictory (at least until someone finds a very, very clever solution out of that).

Just take it as an opinion and some input to consider (which you did, thank you for that).

On an unrelated note, great stuff, keep it up (in general).

We are always happy to look at other ideas, but we are also pretty far along with the design at this stage, and usually have very good reasons for why we are doing things (and sometimes that has to do with the type of game, as you mentioned).

We appreciate everyone's interest in how things are done, and why, and want to make sure we explain our reasoning, and the advantages of what we are doing (and sometimes the disadvantages, but everything has its good and bad sides).

Keep posting!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:36 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Ok Then!!! Lets Learn the last names and first names of the others over here... The Ones you guyz intend on using inside the game.

mine's gonna be Last Name: deviLz
First Name: Rengorr, Magin, ..... Will think of more as I create new characters and post them here, those names...

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:41 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

since im an aspiring elder scrolls lore buff
First names will be either Reman or Tiber
Last name Cyrodiil or Septim xD

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:46 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I will decide on my character's names once I know what does and what doesn't work well with the world (I prefer to have the names at least generally fit into the world at hand). In the unexpected case it would actually work I am pondering to try out Exalted themed names, since I have never done that before, but those are a bit tricky to get right.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

alexrobomind wrote:
I will decide on my character's names once I know what does and what doesn't work well with the world (I prefer to have the names at least generally fit into the world at hand). In the unexpected case it would actually work I am pondering to try out Exalted themed names, since I have never done that before, but those are a bit tricky to get right.

Sir Alex of Robomind head to the battlements at once.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:15 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Evilbunny wrote:
alexrobomind wrote:

Sir Alex of Robomind head to the battlements at once.

Now that's a .... ehm ... no. Actually, it will probably have nothing to do with that name, I use a different baseline for character names.

EDIT: But if I will ever play a castle-themed fun-game, that's a great idea to keep in mind.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:51 pm 

My main will have a serious name, I like Vaughn Arthalos atm, but it keeps changing. If i make a smurf for whatever reason, it will likely involve Trojan, Nugget and/or a noble title, like Lord.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:39 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

Cant say for certain but I believe there will be castles created by the monsters here in CoS. Dont believe that Intelligence will be given to only NPC's and us players here. The monsters are bound to be very intelligent....

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:05 pm 

Well, there will be castles, and all monsters are always doing something. Something can include attacking castles, which need defending. Something may also include defending castles that need attacking.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play