CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: Costumes
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:21 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Warning: Please do not Complain that this is a stupid post....

Lets assume that you are in a fight and you have been smacked Unconscious. So what happens to your attire after that? The enemy of course have the option to make you naked or to remove your equipment[armor and weapons] and leave you with your costume as costumes wont seem to be dangerous thou you may be able to hide a few daggers in them for safety's sake or Pick-locks.

Which is viewable in general, the costume or the equipments. If the enemies are going to make you naked then there is bound to be a means like a random pick-lock inside the dungeon or cell you have been left. Which kinda methods will you guyz use for escape assuming your naked and which method if your not?

Post subject: Re: Costumes
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:16 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

devilzxdemon wrote:
Warning: Please do not Complain that this is a stupid post....

Lets assume that you are in a fight and you have been smacked Unconscious. So what happens to your attire after that? The enemy of course have the option to make you naked or to remove your equipment[armor and weapons] and leave you with your costume as costumes wont seem to be dangerous thou you may be able to hide a few daggers in them for safety's sake or Pick-locks.

Which is viewable in general, the costume or the equipments. If the enemies are going to make you naked then there is bound to be a means like a random pick-lock inside the dungeon or cell you have been left. Which kinda methods will you guyz use for escape assuming your naked and which method if your not?

If you are made a prisoner after being knocked unconscious, or disabled, or you surrender, your equipment may well be removed (down to your undergarments). We assume you are searched thoroughly, so no lock picks or other hidden pieces of equipment. Your equipment will be stored somewhere near your place of incarceration, so if you escape, you can find it.

The only exception to this is if your captor was one of your Nemeses, they may have taken a single item of yours with them when they departed, so you won't get that back unless you track the bastard down and take it from their cold dead hands (or knock them unconscious, or disabled, and rob them instead).

Methods of escape from incarceration are not just one thing, each situation is different, and you will have to figure out the puzzle of how to escape, so no spoilers here. However, you won't be locked up for long, even if you don't figure out how to escape. There are others (like your Allies) who will assist you, but if you can get out of there on your own, the rewards for that will be greater.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:41 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Lets speculate what kinda methods may have been used to let us escape from a cell... I still believe it will be with random wires lying around the ground or wait for a guard with the key to the cell to walk near the prison bar or.... Seems we will not be allowed to wear costumes then...

Yeah I know the methods we discuss here are not going to be the correct ones. But by speculating about different methods we may end up with a correct one. Lets hope our method will be effective to escape also from the dungeons, after all, the simplest method of trying to escape is the best one...

Or if you prefer to chek out :twisted: ways of the guards to tackle you and take you to the real boss who captured you, what will you guyz intend todo to escape from there [after u have met the boss].

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:26 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Who knows? You might inspire us to all new levels of devious behavior.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:54 am 
Hero of the Citadel

I am a humble deviLz at your service.....
:twisted:
Wish others would comment here also on their thoughts.....

Last edited by devilzxdemon on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:44 pm 

Personally, i just like having options. Not just "pick A or B" but allowing me to Macgyver my way to victory. Even if the game offers nothing else but letting me make elaborate and fantastic plans unrestricted, then that will be a great game for me. The simplest option being the best, is completely dependant on your definition of "best". My definition is the method that no one else can think of. ha

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:00 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Awaiting the remaining comments from remaining players...

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Well, assuming we all have magic, I'm guessing the more violent approach will be to cast magic attacks until the door gives way...

I mean, I never understood why someone who has fire abilities, being unable to use them to either burn wooden doors, or simply melt their way out. Samething with freezing, or acid... or necro's summoning a minion on the other side to kill the sleeping guard and get the key... To me, that never made any sense :).

For fire/ice, some will argue that the door is too thick. Fine, but what about the lock? You do not have to melt it, but simply heat the metal enough to take some volume, and see what happens to the lock, or the bolts even. With ice, it's the other way, shrink it, or subzero freeze it if you're powerfull enough. To me, those should be an option, a long and slow option maybe, but there's no reason for it not to be valid imo :).

Another example would involve using the weather, and rain. If you manage to get water in a small fissure, then freeze it, then heat it quickly, the wall will break down fairly quickly, especially if you have some telekinesis abilities/shockware/push type of things.

If you have TK abilities, I do not see why you can never steal the key, or a pin or whatnot from someone just because you do not see it (I really have issue with LOS restrictions most of the time, but I guess that is a full thread in itself). TK is by definition, a mind abilities, the basic abilities, sure LOS is fine, but as you get stronger, knowing roughly where an object is, should be enough to "get it" :).

Then, there are portals in the game, so why not simply get a tiny insignificant portal summoned for example? Not necessarly big enough to go thru, but large enough for your hand to get thru it, and grab a key for example (or whatever other item)?

I'm guessing summoning MCGyver would be pushing it a bit, but managing to summon an acid bottle for example, would be quite acceptable.

I mean, most of the fantasy game have magic in them, yet, we always get chained, or locked behind a door? I mean.. Magic... Vs wood or metal? I do hope COS will have some innovative out of the box thinking stuff going on regarding espaces indeed :).

For more plausible and basic ideas, you could have a levitate spell, so you go to the ceiling, and drop on the guard when he comes in looking for you, or you simply turn invisible.

I remember I think it was in oblivion, where I turned invisible, and the guard never even noticed anything odd, I felt quite disapointed at this time :).

Alternatively, polymorphing is always good... Morph into a bunch of spiders, or butterflies or whatnot (although you'd need to break the rule of mass/amount of mater conservation in physics, but hey, it's magic so screw it as far as I'm concerned :D ).

Then there's always the hypnosis option also. Guards are usually not the brightest mind, I mean, they're assigned to watching people, in cages... That usually sums up their abilities within their realm :D. *waves hand* you want to open this door, I'm your captain.

Illusion are also good, nothing like making the guards thing they're chased by a dragon, and the door to your cell is the only exit... Or making them think Justin Bieber is following them, either of those dangerous creature works.

Back on Telekinesis, if you are able to move objects, there's no reason that you can not open the lock with your mind, regardless of how complex it is, simply fill the "void" with your mind, and turn the whole shabang. One could argue that if you have TK powers, and a basic understanding of molecules, you could litterally break the bounds in molecules, and make things disappear/break at will. With a more complex knowledge, you could probably end up morphing things too (like carbon into diamonds for example).

If there's a nature magic, why not simply make a large tree grow under the door?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:54 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

The problem with that line of thinking is where do you draw the line? Why can you force open a door yet even a flimsy wooden hut can withstand the most powerful magic? Exactly how many ways to open a door do you design? Doing something like that is a opening a bottomless can of worms. It's impossible to model everything.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:24 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Antilurker77 wrote:
The problem with that line of thinking is where do you draw the line? Why can you force open a door yet even a flimsy wooden hut can withstand the most powerful magic? Exactly how many ways to open a door do you design? Doing something like that is a opening a bottomless can of worms. It's impossible to model everything.

Don't make me call dragons on you. :)

I know exactly what you mean, which is why I put a few ideas, because it's pretty obvious no current tech would be able to do this, like intelligently. The only way it could be done, would be to literally have magical interactions calculated using real world (or approximate estimations) on everything, which would also mean completely destructible environment and so on and so forth. So you'd need to implement an action/reaction from magic, and then get the results calculated. That's the only way I could think off that would allow for a truly open interaction, but as I said above, I don't think we've yet reached the tech level to be able to do this.

The only other way, is of course to assign strength/resistance to specific objects, and design possible interactions, which is as far as I know what has always been done... I guess the more interaction possible, the better it looks :).

As for how far do you want to go, well, that depends on how immersive you want the game to be I guess :). Most of the examples I gave would completely fit a fantasy situation with magic involved imo :) A good example of how immersion breaking it is, is when you have a character able to morph into some sort of mist, yet, you can not go thru bars, or windows, or even fly. While, if it was an actual mist form, there's no logical reason why you could not do the above. To me, stopping dead while in mist (or spirit form even) by some bars, makes no sense (granted, some limits are needed for maps/progressions). The only way it would be acceptable, would be if there was a lore/reason why magic don't work (like a charm, a curse/shield), but then again, you can not really say every single time you see a door, it is magically protected, that's just cheap and dirty :D.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play