CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: Theater
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:21 pm 
Fallen Hero

You mentioned that we can act in the theater. Will this be controlled by us, or a scripted routine made beforehand (I mean like a programmed thing). Will there be an acting skill or something so that you can improve, or will I just as good of an actor when I first start as my hundredth play?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post subject: Re: Theater
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:43 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

It's pretty simple, you rent a theater, design the sets (if you want them), have stage crew to work the lights, curtains and back drops, get up on the stage with your character, or with others, speak into your microphone, and the audience will hear what you say, or sing. You use character controls and emotes to physically 'act'.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:28 am 
Citadel Guardian

Jatar wrote:
It's pretty simple, you rent a theater, design the sets (if you want them), have stage crew to work the lights, curtains and back drops, get up on the stage with your character, or with others, speak into your microphone, and the audience will hear what you say, or sing. You use character controls and emotes to physically 'act'.

[Emphasis mine.]

So, in CoS, you can literally input and project your voice within a certain area of your character? If so, then that would be a very, very good idea.

Parallel to this, as MMO Magic gets going, they could develop hardware which would interface with CoS's software and allow one to control their character with their body, first in part and later in full. This would help perfect the theater experience for CoS players. In fact, to my knowledge, the Everquest II team announced that they were trying to develop facial recognition technology back in 2012. But, I haven't heard anything since ... strange.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:12 am 
Hero of the Citadel

LoL Hello Hello, Mike testing, mike testing, this one needs more tweaking....

Now there are going to be swimming pools and also hotels to spend the night at unless im mistaken...

I just hope there won't be too many players doing the same thing at same time as it may cause laggs, or the system may start to hang ,.... As far as i have seen if many players group together and start doing something, the same thing, it causes laggs or disconnects or system hangs,...

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:43 am 
Citadel Guardian

Oh, yeah ... along with theater, what other non-combat activities are in CoS?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:32 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Many.
Monster Trapping.
Gambling.
Ballroom dances.
Races.
A few board games.
Murder mysteries.
Spying.
Exploration to find new disvoveries.
Archeology.

To name a few.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:38 pm 
Fallen Hero

Interesting, so buying a good mic's going to be really necessary...

How does this fit into the lore though? If Fallen Heroes are to important to be shopkeepers, how could we possibly become actors?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:07 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Jatar wrote:
Many.
Monster Trapping.
Gambling.
Ballroom dances.
Races.
A few board games.
Murder mysteries.
Spying.
Exploration to find new disvoveries.
Archeology.

To name a few.

Nice. Off the top of my head ...

As for Archaeology, you could easily attach pieces of data to the air in spots, plants, animals, and individual rocks and core samples. With this, the player could collect data from individual objects, discern patterns in the said data, and use it to discern things which are present, but hidden from plain sight. By this, players would make discoveries (i.e. discovering hidden, underground temples), discover things about the world's history (i.e. finding links between different plants and animals, in order to discern common ancestors or kinds), and solve any ecological problems which arise (i.e. finding sources of environmental pollution and remove it). Moreover, you could signal that something is hidden nearby with ghosts appearing and disappearing without rhyme or reason, earthquakes happening, and so on.

I think that this would really help stimulate community debate over lore-oriented issues.

And, as for monster trapping, you could easily put in hunting-related factors. Line-of-sight movement could grab a monster's attention in proportion to how much one moves in plain sight in relation to the monster in question's line of sight. Moreover, sound waves could get big enough to grab a monster's attention, depending on what one is wearing, how fast one moves, and so on. (The Elder Scrolls series touched on using sound waves, but I think that you can improve upon it.) Conversely, you could have your own smell cloud which surrounds you and is spread around by the wind. So, you'd have to change positions to stay downwind, otherwise your monster prey could smell you and get alerted to your presence.

Perhaps some hunting games have already done this. I wouldn't know. I've never been interested in playing a pure hunting game.

You could also have

• player-written books (think writing stuff on an internal Notepad, with some basic features from Microsoft Word, or external material which is uploaded by players), which could be sold, rated, and stored on shelves. These books could have a variety of purposes, from raw entertainment to providing academic guides.
  • player-made signs and art (think a basic, internal Microsoft Paint program on certain crafted objects, or external material which is uploaded by players), which could be used for many purposes. For instance, they could be left in the field, as player-made road markers, memorials to great battles or losses, and so on.
  • alternative forms of exploration, such as climbing, spelunking or caving, and so on. Each of these would have their own special sets of physics, rules, skill requirements, and so on. They would be all about circumventing obstacles as one explores, with combat during these activities being a variant factor.
  • player digging, as in digging for random items and treasure, as one explores. (Think The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past's digging option, with Everquest: Next's destructible environment.)

• player made structures, such as constructing safe houses in the middle of nowhere for recuperation, constructing military fortifications for restraining enemy movements near a city, erecting campsites, and so on. But, since this gets into traditional crafting, I'm not sure if you'd approve of this.

All of these items could easily require professions, skill acquisitions, and unique, social ways of obtaining these things.

The real problem which I see in MMORPGs is that they are combat-centric by necessity, at least under current popular notions about games. Combat--and, by extension, leveling up one's stats in gated, linear grinds--is easy to program and cost-effective because it deals with nicely defined and delineated numbers, with clear cut resolutions. In contrast, non-combat-oriented activities, such as social activities, studying lore history, and means of artistic expression, are not very numbers friendly in nature. They are open-ended in nature, fluid in structure, and require progressively increasing amounts of complexity to realize.

In this sense, I think that MMORPGs need to put the RP back in MMORPGs with more do-it-yourself activities. Just give the players more raw options and capabilities in general and let them go for it. That's all that you really can do.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:47 pm 
Fallen Hero

Those all seem like they would be really cool. Player made maps are already in, so I don't see why books wouldn't be.
Digging though... What happens to the hole? Does it just disappear after a certain amount of time? Not even monsters can just pop into and out of existence. It would also be awkward in combat. Say you're digging and you're attacked, you step back... into the hole. What happens? Does it stop you? Do you somehow walk over it? Do you get stuck inside?
Same goes for the player built houses. There are no servers. It would get awfully cluttered as you walk down through an area and there are just random player houses everywhere.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:32 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Mystic wrote:
Digging though... What happens to the hole? Does it just disappear after a certain amount of time? Not even monsters can just pop into and out of existence. It would also be awkward in combat. Say you're digging and you're attacked, you step back... into the hole. What happens? Does it stop you? Do you somehow walk over it? Do you get stuck inside?

I think that there's numerous solutions to this problem.

For filling a hole up: For instance, bad weather, namely heavy rain over time, could fill in a hole somehow. Or some NPC enemies could fill a hole up somehow, such as in a spider building a web inside a hole or goblins making a hole another entrance into their underground lair. Or players themselves could use it as a lethal trap somehow.

For dealing with the danger of a hole: I suppose that players could fall in a hole and take some injuries. But, on a community RW, they could call for help. And, on a private RW, I suppose that they could rely on a basic climbing skill which is given to them by default.

It all depends on how the CoS team wants to tackle this, if they even agree to do so.

Mystic wrote:
Same goes for the player built houses. There are no servers. It would get awfully cluttered as you walk down through an area and there are just random player houses everywhere.

Well, there is one brutal solution: Player-made houses can be torn down by NPC enemies of high intelligence, if left unguarded. And there should be a reasonable probability of this happening.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play