CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: Re: Archaeology question
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:04 am 
Hero of the Citadel

well here's a story me would like to find the end of,
I ask a few NPC friends of mine to help me craft a weapon, it becomes a good/successful attempt and the weapon is liked by many, my nemesis immediately wants to try it out and find out if its actually good, i will get kidnapped, my weapon gets stolen and i have to find out if i can get it back or not... After finding my weapon i realize its going to be used as a test piece on other players/monsters by my nemesis. So what am i supposed todo? Rescue my weapon by letting a few sacrifice their lives, ask my nemesis to spare others and i may work for him/her if they don't harm others unnecesssarily, join my nemesis and find a way to steal my weapon back,...
Anyway a weapon created by us may not always stay with us. Best is to try and make it cursed while creating it and make sure others won't be happy and will hate using that weapon because of that curse...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:58 pm 

devilzxdemon wrote:
well here's a story me would like to find the end of,
I ask a few NPC friends of mine to help me craft a weapon, it becomes a good/successful attempt and the weapon is liked by many, my nemesis immediately wants to try it out and find out if its actually good, i will get kidnapped, my weapon gets stolen and i have to find out if i can get it back or not... After finding my weapon i realize its going to be used as a test piece on other players/monsters by my nemesis. So what am i supposed todo? Rescue my weapon by letting a few sacrifice their lives, ask my nemesis to spare others and i may work for him/her if they don't harm others unnecesssarily, join my nemesis and find a way to steal my weapon back,...
Anyway a weapon created by us may not always stay with us. Best is to try and make it cursed while creating it and make sure others won't be happy and will hate using that weapon because of that curse...

The idea of the nemesis stealing your weapon is a great idea and I love it. However we cannot create items in CoS so that is not a valid posted idea. To be clear we can repair and modify equipment and weapons, we cannot create them.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:28 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

NPC's can manufatcure weapons right? or even if we can't create weapons lets say me finds a rare one,...

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:29 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Akumawraith wrote:
Actually thats an angle I love in books but have never seen in a game. The intelligent weapon.

A weapon that was crafted in magic or has (on the dark side of things) killed so many good/evil that it became intelligent.

In CoS I could almost certainly see the second version as we are talking about different ages that expand multiple thousands of years and a lot of death. Now these weapons would be so rare.. like finding a needle in a hay stack in ten minutes. However these things are known for obstinacy, sarcasm, generally not being interested in anything mundane... If its not fighting its not happy.

Its one of the things i was thinking about when we were talking about the cursed blades. I had realized something.

In the MMO genre there are no real "rare" weapons. To create a sense of balance you can have thousands of players running around with the same weapon that supposedly has one in existence. Take Frostmourne from Wrath of the Lich King. There is only one like it and every player has it... kinda lame actually.

With a world as expansive as CoS I do believe that it is possible to do the opposite. Actually create individually unique single items in the game that no one else can attain. if players take the time to look, and do the quests, it should be interesting to explore and maybe find that amazingly rare artifact.

And by rare i mean maybe a few in the game.. not something every player can attain. if the players want to have an item They need to put their butts into gear and explore instead of sitting in the city annoying others or taking up bandwidth. I know not all players sit on their butts in the city but amazingly I find it funny when I played WoW, the same ones complaining in chat were the ones who I could always see standing in the city.

I agree with this, it is highly viable to have completely unique weapons available to everyone. Now, that being said, let's assume that there are 30 abilities that a weapon is able to have 1-2 at a time, and at different strengths. Player A spends the time researching and questing to obtain this kickass "sword of super awesomeness" that has THREE abilities! Player xq2dks can also spend the time researching and questing to obtain the equally as kickass "sword of Godlike Pectorals" which has the same THREE abilities! Obviously, the three abilities were player choiced separately from each other, but both players wanted the same three abilities in their super awesome weapon. I mean, you're spending your time questing and researching this ability to put it into your sword for you to use, you want something you'll like/use. Both of these swords are 100% unique, but almost roughly equivalent, being that if they were in a duel, it would come down to player skill vs player skill alone and not RNGesus on who wins.

Recap: player want unique, player get unique, but other unique same as unique unique.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:23 pm 
Fallen Hero

Dat Recap tho...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:21 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Unitato wrote:
On a side note, with NPCs in the game, will there be levels of sophistication? Such as if you were to travel far away from the Citadel, you might encounter a small village of NPCs who behave primitively, away from our "society", but are very humble, and nice, and perhaps have to communicate through charades due to not speaking the same language, or even a way for us to research and learn how to speak this language to communicate with them in an "auto-to-english" sort of way. I think that this would be a very interesting aspect to any game.

First off, whenever you get this specific in what you hope to find you are setting yourself up for possible disappointment and making us have to say, 'Sorry, no'. It is always better off to ask us what we are planning, like with NPCs, villages and other settlements in the game, that way we can spend our time telling you about all the neat stuff we are planning instead of telling you what we aren't doing.

So, let's pretend that's what you asked: What are we planning with NPCs and such?

I'd be glad to answer that! Let's look at the nature of the Reflected Worlds first. I'm not going to go over the Lore (you can read that on the main website, here: http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/faq/lor ... ted-worlds

However, due to what happened, the Citadel lands, once united, are now broken into small City States, Kingdoms, Baronies, Oligarchies, Fiefdoms, and other types of governments. The Citadel is in the process of trying to bring these back under their control. Morphael's creatures are taking large portions of the RWs, which we simply call Morphael's Lands. His creatures are roaming the wilderness between these various types of kingdoms in what was once the Citadel Lands, and of course there is the Wild, where no governments currently control anything.

What this means is that you can run into almost any kind of situation as you travel, it all depends on which lands you enter, when. It's a crazy place out there, and don't forget that the Fay races also control parts of the world (we'll talk about them later, but they are spirits who have taken physical form and started their own societies.)

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play