CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: Re: Archaeology question
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:07 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Me will ask for the blade of Rugrius in Log Horizon 2nd season...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:16 pm 
Fallen Hero

Ummm why would you want a cursed item on you?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:17 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Depends on the curse and how it affects you and the world around you. It could be as simple as changing your hair color to reduction in skills or the item is useless to any but one type of mob. The limit of a curse is your imagination. Curses can also have seemingly helpful aspects. You attract men. Good if you are female but can get you into some serious and hilarious situations (tavern fight.) You attract dogs. Can be good except for a wolf in the pack or you get in trouble for dog theft. Your hair turns blue (harmless) and a tribe thinks it's a sign from the gods and you are to be sacrificed to appease a mob that is attacking them (The side effect.)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:37 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Cursed items add to the fun. You have to be smart to avoid them, and should you fail they can add to the humor of the moment. In addition, it's possible to use them against an enemy at times. Imagine if your Nemesis gets the best of you one day and steals your cursed sword. Surprise!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:50 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Not to mention that some cursed items are often more powerful in their useful aspects than non-cursed items. One like that may be well worth having if you can endure their bad effects.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:42 pm 

Yeah I like the idea of cursed items. Im a fan of Campione! and one of the blades in the LN is a dark Spirit blade aka cursed blade. It is controllable and useable however instead of being totally dangerous to the user it harnesses and uses dark abilities. and can actually possess the user with permission to give it him or her nearly divine abilities.

only in the Western World is the "Cursed Blade" always dangerous to the user.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:04 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

exactly. In Percy Jackson: sea of monsters, the cursed blade is actually THE blade of the prophecy to defeat Kronos. So, is that a bad blade when it is used to defeat evil?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:20 am 
Hero of the Citadel

In the end you will find we get help from the bad to defeat the bad. Its how we operate mostly...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:03 pm 

Actually thats an angle I love in books but have never seen in a game. The intelligent weapon.

A weapon that was crafted in magic or has (on the dark side of things) killed so many good/evil that it became intelligent.

In CoS I could almost certainly see the second version as we are talking about different ages that expand multiple thousands of years and a lot of death. Now these weapons would be so rare.. like finding a needle in a hay stack in ten minutes. However these things are known for obstinacy, sarcasm, generally not being interested in anything mundane... If its not fighting its not happy.

Its one of the things i was thinking about when we were talking about the cursed blades. I had realized something.

In the MMO genre there are no real "rare" weapons. To create a sense of balance you can have thousands of players running around with the same weapon that supposedly has one in existence. Take Frostmourne from Wrath of the Lich King. There is only one like it and every player has it... kinda lame actually.

With a world as expansive as CoS I do believe that it is possible to do the opposite. Actually create individually unique single items in the game that no one else can attain. if players take the time to look, and do the quests, it should be interesting to explore and maybe find that amazingly rare artifact.

And by rare i mean maybe a few in the game.. not something every player can attain. if the players want to have an item They need to put their butts into gear and explore instead of sitting in the city annoying others or taking up bandwidth. I know not all players sit on their butts in the city but amazingly I find it funny when I played WoW, the same ones complaining in chat were the ones who I could always see standing in the city.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:58 pm 

I'd also love to see this happen, but then there's the issue of holding these items hostage by characters that vanish. They might appear every now and then like a shiny pokémon. It would still be rare as hell and allow collectors to collect, yet still have enough that not only the select few in the world could have one. They would have to be renewable (however limited) for that first issue.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play