Post subject: Asymmetric Gameplay.
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:20 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Asymmetric Play - Can One Game Cater to Many Playstyles? - Extra Credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQhxtfKH1f8

Post subject: Re: Asymmetric Gameplay.
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:19 am 

This reminded me of something that really interested me when i first started following CoS. Although i still enjoy class based systems, there is always the issue that I struggle to stay on one role. I'm an altoholic because I want to experience all the gameplay options available. But, that's not going to happen on one character if i can't have defence, utility AND damaging skills. I'm very curious as to whether CoS can cure me of my addiction.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:31 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
This reminded me of something that really interested me when i first started following CoS. Although i still enjoy class based systems, there is always the issue that I struggle to stay on one role. I'm an altoholic because I want to experience all the gameplay options available. But, that's not going to happen on one character if i can't have defence, utility AND damaging skills. I'm very curious as to whether CoS can cure me of my addiction.

Our system allows you to mix any kind of Abilities in one character that you wish. Look at it this way, if you played Alt characters, it takes a certain number of play hours to add Abilities (skills) to that character (in any MMO). In CoS, just spend the same time adding those same Abilities to your primary character, now they not only do those, but all the other Abilities they had before. Since there is nothing stopping them from learning anything, there is no need to use Alt characters.

Now, I've stated before, we will offer Alt characters, but that is more about story role-playing than about the role of a character in a battle based on Abilities. A single character in CoS is far more capable of filling that kind of role by having a wide range of capabilities. You need an archer? I have bow Abilities. You need a Healer, I have those as well, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:54 pm 

Apparently it didn't actually post this yesterday, so hopefully it does this time.

As long as one can "catch up" skills from new leagues to be useful at your current highest tier, I see no reason I would need an alt other than wanting different guilds or to have one of each race, etc. That being said, I called it an addiction for a reason. Even if there's no need for another character, i tend to make one anyway. I love the feeling of a blank slate, the endless possibilities and the simplicity of being able to make do with far fewer options. CoS will be quite different from other games though, so i don't want to say i will or won't until i can see what it's actually like.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:45 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
Apparently it didn't actually post this yesterday, so hopefully it does this time.

As long as one can "catch up" skills from new leagues to be useful at your current highest tier, I see no reason I would need an alt other than wanting different guilds or to have one of each race, etc. That being said, I called it an addiction for a reason. Even if there's no need for another character, i tend to make one anyway. I love the feeling of a blank slate, the endless possibilities and the simplicity of being able to make do with far fewer options. CoS will be quite different from other games though, so i don't want to say i will or won't until i can see what it's actually like.

This is yet another reason we are offering Alts, though again, it is not because they are necessary, but there can be other reasons than 'necessary' for playing multiple characters. If players have any reason they enjoy playing Alts, then it is clear we need to include them (and have). :)

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play