CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:36 pm 
Fallen Hero

I'm curious about how responsive CoS will be to my decisions as my character's story develops. Let's go with an example: Say I want to play a warrior who is like a crusader. He has a serious hate for Morphael, the Recreated and anyone foolish enough to be in league with him. Every chance I get I want to take the fight to the enemy. I don't have time to look for lost dogs, rescue kidnapped mayors, or put out fires. How would CoS respond to my play style? Would I tend to have more quests that involved doing violence to Morphael's minions than another player who isn't so focused on that aspect of the CoS storyline?

We all know that the mmo standard has pretty much been everyone completes the same quests, earns the same rewards, and levels up the same way. Whether or not you're interested in the quest, you take it, complete it, and go on to the next until there aren't anymore. In CoS no two players will have the same quest or develop the same storyline. Since there is no static set of quests is CoS able to draw from a pool of possible quests that can adjust to what seems to be my interests (or likes and dislikes)?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:19 pm 
Producer
Producer

Why does everyone hate me? Can't you see I just want to bring a higher quality of life to all species?

Anyway...

Your past history determines who you'll run across in the future. If you spend all of your time doing quests that chase down Morphael's creatures, you'll find that they start to appear more and more during your story line. The more you disrupt and upset a faction the more likely they are to show up next time to try and thwart you in your quests.

There are other ways to fight Morphael than just quests.. you could take the fight to him at the warfront to No Man's Land (common world large scale military operations) or participate in a raid on one of his controlled areas. If you were foolish enough you could also try to advance into his lands on foot and do some damage (though you're likely to end up as spare parts for his creatures).

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:26 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

There has been some discussion of this, but it is as yet unresolved. Both length and style of a quest are things we might allow you to note while you are considering a quest, but we haven't set this in stone yet.

Speaking only about what is definitely in the design, you do NOT have to do every quest you are offered, you make the choices about what you want to do after you hear about it. You can choose to adjust your game play several ways. One is to choose things like more Warfare and Adventures, another is to take only Quests, Missions or Adventure that appeal to you, and if you find one that you are in the middle of, and dislike the style, dump it and do another. You make the decisions on what you do, and no one will likely do all the same game play choices. The game doesn't decide what you should do, you do.

Finally, every quest is EXTREMELY adaptable. There is no such thing as a grocery list Quest. This means you will never be asked to go collect a number of something, then kill monsters until they drop that amount of that thing. In COS every Quest and Mission is a story that has thousands of ways through, and your choices are part of what guides the story.

Simple example: You are supposed to go into a castle to find the battle plans for a small kingdom about to attack their neighbor. You could sneak in the front door dressed as a guard like a spy, climb the back wall like a thief, assault the gate like a warrior, hex the guards to put them to sleep like a Mage... you pick. This means that although you might be on the quest you can play it in your style and the game doesn't care, again, you decide how to play.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:09 pm 
Fallen Hero

Morphael wrote:
Why does everyone hate me? Can't you see I just want to bring a higher quality of life to all species?

Since none of us has met you yet it's got to be your reputation. You gotta to work on your rep!

Jatar wrote:
Finally, every quest is EXTREMELY adaptable. There is no such thing as a grocery list Quest. This means you will never be asked to go collect a number of something, then kill monsters until they drop that amount of that thing. In COS every Quest and Mission is a story that has thousands of ways through, and your choices are part of what guides the story.

Thank you. All I can say is thank you.

Have you developed the UI for how we the players will keep track of our story as it develops? Something like a log or notebook maybe? I realize that in old school games we had to keep our own notes and pay attention to what was going on, but we've gone soft over the last few years with automatic quest tracking. With the story promising to be in constant development it would be nice to have something as part of the UI to remind us where we've been and where we're going (and keep track of NPCs we've pissed off).

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:52 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Yes, we have a Journal that tracks what you do in every quest as if you are writing a kind of diary. The game automatically makes entries into this Journal, but we also allow players to make their own notes as well.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:57 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
but we also allow players to make their own notes as well.

awesome. U rock!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:02 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

[quote="Jatar" but we also allow players to make their own notes as well.[/quote]

sexy :o

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:16 am 
Citadel Recruit

Morphael wrote:
There are other ways to fight Morphael than just quests.. you could take the fight to him at the warfront to No Man's Land (common world large scale military operations) or participate in a raid on one of his controlled areas. If you were foolish enough you could also try to advance into his lands on foot and do some damage (though you're likely to end up as spare parts for his creatures).

Interesting, but what makes this different than any other MMO? I can go on a quest, or do a Raid, or go hunt down some monsters (No mans land, I guess), or go into enemy territory (Morphael's lands). I mean, I'm not trying to attack anything here, but I would like to know why this is different (like the main page claims on the web site).

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 am 
Citadel Recruit

I have played games where where your reputation with a faction can decline to the point where they will attack you on sight, but the why I am understanding the game mechanics here is that they will actively seek you out to cause harm... or worse.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Bookkeeper wrote:
Interesting, but what makes this different than any other MMO? I can go on a quest, or do a Raid, or go hunt down some monsters (No mans land, I guess), or go into enemy territory (Morphael's lands). I mean, I'm not trying to attack anything here, but I would like to know why this is different (like the main page claims on the web site).

Hopefully from reading around these forums more you've gotten the answer to this question!

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play