CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Bookkeeper wrote:
Morphael wrote:
There are other ways to fight Morphael than just quests.. you could take the fight to him at the warfront to No Man's Land (common world large scale military operations) or participate in a raid on one of his controlled areas. If you were foolish enough you could also try to advance into his lands on foot and do some damage (though you're likely to end up as spare parts for his creatures).

Interesting, but what makes this different than any other MMO? I can go on a quest, or do a Raid, or go hunt down some monsters (No mans land, I guess), or go into enemy territory (Morphael's lands). I mean, I'm not trying to attack anything here, but I would like to know why this is different (like the main page claims on the web site).

Think of what happens when you do a raid in other games - "Ok, for this part, you have to go here, the mage has to use this spell, the tank has to taunt him and stand here...." With other MMORPG's, for the most part there is only one way to defeat a dungeon/mob, and the higher the mob is on the food chain, the more linear the path is to defeating him. We're doing everything we can think of to avoid this scenario, by letting the players build the character they want, and use their own strengths to their advantage.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:49 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Bookkeeper wrote:
Morphael wrote:
There are other ways to fight Morphael than just quests.. you could take the fight to him at the warfront to No Man's Land (common world large scale military operations) or participate in a raid on one of his controlled areas. If you were foolish enough you could also try to advance into his lands on foot and do some damage (though you're likely to end up as spare parts for his creatures).

Interesting, but what makes this different than any other MMO? I can go on a quest, or do a Raid, or go hunt down some monsters (No mans land, I guess), or go into enemy territory (Morphael's lands). I mean, I'm not trying to attack anything here, but I would like to know why this is different (like the main page claims on the web site).

Well, everything?

We have certainly covered this in many other posts, so my answer may be going over old ground... but, here goes.

Our quests are epic adventures though a massive story, that is changed by what you did in the past, who your friends and enemies are, and more. Each quest is customized to the player, and the decisions you make change how it unfolds. Each one is like going through the entire Lord of the Rings story.

We don't offer standard Raids, though we do offer something we call a Campaign. There are similarities, but the main difference is replayablity. Most Raid systems in other MMOs have players going on the same thing, over and over. Our Campaigns change, every time you go on one. You can't predict what will happen, because it will be different every time.

As for hunting down monsters, again, we changed how that works as well. Most games use a grid system where a monster is assigned some area to wander within. These monsters attack you if you get too close, and pop back into existence a few minutes after you manage to kill them. We don't do any of that. Instead, we give every monster intelligence (to the appropriate level for that beastie). They are given objectives, which they attempt to achieve. If killed... they stay dead. New monsters are given new objectives and soon go about their business, but none of them pop back into existence, and they all have purpose. They aren't mindless either, they can change their objective (depending on the actions you take). They might even decide to forgo sacking that town, just to hunt you down. Or, they might decide to do something else completely. They have choice.

In the end, that is the word that best describes the game play of CoS, choice. You have choices, and those change the path of the story, the quest and of the world. The game has choices, and makes them constantly about what is happening. NPCs have choice, as to what they are doing, and how to achieve it. Every choice you have has consequences... so choose wisely.

This is a brief answer, but it should give you an idea. Read others posts to find out more. Thanks for your question though!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I don't know how I manage to miss some of these threads, but man, I'm really liking the ideas behind the quest system. A journal that I can actually keep notes of my own in? Now that's epic to me.

Also that fact there are no "grocry list" quests is a welcome sight. While some games try and work game lore into those quests, in the end it's still...go kill a bunch of theese or collect a bunch of those. I mean, I don't dislike that type of quest per se, but that's the only type of quest i've ever really seen, so it's a bit...dated to me.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:53 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

Hey morph!!!!!
Im willin to b ur henchman n im sure there r others out there who ll support u also.......

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:34 am 

devilzxdemon wrote:
Hey morph!!!!!
Im willin to b ur henchman n im sure there r others out there who ll support u also.......

Sadly you are a Fallen Hero...... Protecting the Citadel and all the Politics that go with it....

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:57 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Mayb, Mayb not, who knows,....
A spy's job never has been or will b easy....
To b Morph's hencman i gotta b a spy huh!!!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:25 pm 
Fallen Hero

The point of CoS is to play a hero and have worthy adventures. Now I realize the word hero can mean a lot of different things to people. Han Solo, for example, is a hero. He's also a rogue, a smuggler and shot Greedo first. Some people like that kind of hero over, say, a Lone Ranger, who is squeaky clean, never shoots to kill and could put an army of Boy Scouts to shame with his manners and courtesy.

Generally, heroes are not turncoats, traitors or spies for the enemy. Story-wise, if Morphael wins, we and the Citadel all lose. So helping Morphael would not be heroic at all. It would make you a villain. There are games out there for players who want to be the villain but CoS isn't one of them.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:28 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Neverest wrote:
The point of CoS is to play a hero and have worthy adventures. Now I realize the word hero can mean a lot of different things to people. Han Solo, for example, is a hero. He's also a rogue, a smuggler and shot Greedo first. Some people like that kind of hero over, say, a Lone Ranger, who is squeaky clean, never shoots to kill and could put an army of Boy Scouts to shame with his manners and courtesy.

Generally, heroes are not turncoats, traitors or spies for the enemy. Story-wise, if Morphael wins, we and the Citadel all lose. So helping Morphael would not be heroic at all. It would make you a villain. There are games out there for players who want to be the villain but CoS isn't one of them.

Hmm, believe it or not, I think he wants to be the villan. That's probably one of the reasons why he has "devil" and "demon" in his name.

I just can't wait to see what the Eyes of Darkness will do to him, over and over again :twisted: .

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:33 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Besides, how can you spy for Morph. when the Eye of Darkness has her "spyders" all over the place ;)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:26 pm 
Producer
Producer

I think that some people miss the gravity of the situation.

Even with all of the power and resources of the Citadel.. the power of those of the Blood, the power of the Sorcerers.. Morphael is winning. It was only by bringing back the Fallen Heroes that Morphael's advance has been slowed to almost a stale mate.

The only thing really holding Morphael's forces back are the Fallen Heroes. The Citadel may claim victory but without them Morphael would overrun all of the Reflected Worlds.

Morphael isn't just some evil guy in a tower. He's more powerful than anything the Citadel has seen and he has one objective: making all living beings in the Reflected Worlds his slaves and test subjects.

Fallen Heroes helping Morphael willingly just isn't going to be part of the game. The Citadel would just revoke your resurrections and that would be the end of you.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play