CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: Max level
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:18 am 

I have not found any other information so i'm going to assume that there will be a normal level system. :? If i'm wrong please correct me. ;)
What will the max level be like? ;) Will it be a game where you go to the max level in the first days and then the game begins, or will the game be more about the actual leveling? :D

Post subject: Re: Max level
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08 pm 

3milve wrote:
I have not found any other information so i'm going to assume that there will be a normal level system. :? If i'm wrong please correct me. ;)
What will the max level be like? ;) Will it be a game where you go to the max level in the first days and then the game begins, or will the game be more about the actual leveling? :D

Their is no max level ; experience is exponential and what you gain is used and spent improving abilities.
You play a Chapter of your story writtten like a book; In a shattered world under the dominion of Morphael.
This game is about abilities over 1800 of them and fighting the forces of the dark LOrd.....

That is all i know

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:10 pm 
Producer
Producer

There is no level limit, however there is a realistic limit of how many levels you could gain in your lifetime playing the game :lol:

There is also no max to the number of abilities you can learn or how many skill points you can sink into each one. This is possible because of how we balance each quest and NPC to the player to continue being challenging no matter what level they are.

You may wonder how this will work with grouping and we've already fixed that problem but can't talk about it just yet as it's integral into the combat game design that we're not ready to release just yet.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:25 pm 

Morphael wrote:
There is no level limit, however there is a realistic limit of how many levels you could gain in your lifetime playing the game :lol:

There is also no max to the number of abilities you can learn or how many skill points you can sink into each one. This is possible because of how we balance each quest and NPC to the player to continue being challenging no matter what level they are.

You may wonder how this will work with grouping and we've already fixed that problem but can't talk about it just yet as it's integral into the combat game design that we're not ready to release just yet.

It sounds too good to be true; But you seem like the good guys for now .....

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:27 pm 
Citadel Guardian

No Level Cap but the sad thing is (stated by the developers) that your character does age..and inevitably dies of old age (how many actual years in the game is not known).

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

interesting idea when your character dies i wonder if you can salvage your gear for it

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Alexis_Starfire wrote:
No Level Cap but the sad thing is (stated by the developers) that your character does age..and inevitably dies of old age (how many actual years in the game is not known).

Well, no. Your character technically ages, but you would have to stay in the game for 80 years before he would die, and you would die before that, most likely. In reality you are going to play your character for a few game years, you won't die of old age.

Slight Edit here, NPCs not of the blood could get to old age, but players are Of the Blood, and live for hundreds of years. My mistake :oops:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:00 am 

Thanks! :D
The game just gets better and better. :)

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:46 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

It sounds awesome, but does it mean that after a while, probably a fairly long while, it ends up taking too long to keep studying your current skills?

Assuming as skills gets higher, it takes longer to reach the next level of said skill, when do we start talking weeks before a skill gets improved again? Won't it start getting too slow, and people start getting bored of it sort of speak?

Granted, there are tons of abilities to choose from, but once we have our mind set on a certain set of skills, training/improving new ones no longer comes into play, in my humble opinion. Sure the story/quest/lore seems awesome, but if a character no longer improves at a visible/reasonable rate, many of us might start getting bored, or simply feel like our character is no longer improving. From what I gathered so far, it could take a while, a long while before that happens, but it should eventually happen to most of us, or is there a limit to how long each skills can take to be improved?

For example, let's take a basic fireball. You keep studying it and use it as one of your main attack (fire resistant being taken out of the equation for now), how long would it take for levelling that specific attack? Or will the game adapt to our skill levels, and as such, keep all the skill we use reasonably balanced, and "level up" our enemies, so we keep earning a decent amount of study points, without ending up taking weeks to reach a new level?

Since there is no grinding in the game, and no respawning npc's, I'm assuming skills can be leveled up when you level up, and that xp is mostly generated from your performances during the stories. If that is the case, Am I correct in assuming that a player that does reasonably well, will keep levelling his abilities within a reasonably equal time frame everytime? Or are the quests so different, than no average can be given, and as such, levelling will be completly random and different for each characters depending on how it performs during the various quests, each with a very different and unpredictable time frame? If that is so, isn't there a risk that a quest could end up taking so long that your player does not level up for ages?

Sorry about the many questions, but I'm so puzzled and intrigued by this game and its design ^_^.

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:04 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
Alexis_Starfire wrote:

Well, no. Your character technically ages, but you would have to stay in the game for 80 years before he would die, and you would die before that, most likely. In reality you are going to play your character for a few game years, you won't die of old age.

Slight Edit here, NPCs not of the blood could get to old age, but players are Of the Blood, and live for hundreds of years. My mistake :oops:

Thank you for clarifying that. I was going to be pretty concerned pretty quickly if our character died of old age.

-Sal

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play