CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post subject: Re: Max level
 Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:06 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

Hmmmmm
Im kinda curious as to wat ll happen if me char dies......
Say me char is 20years and i pass on me account to a young frnd of mine and on it goes.....
So wat ll happen then??????
I ll have to create a new char or will the old one be capable of bein re-born or will the old one get deleted????

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

"Passing on" an account is probably against the Terms of Use, so discussing that possibility seems pointless.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:28 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

It sounds awesome, but does it mean that after a while, probably a fairly long while, it ends up taking too long to keep studying your current skills?

A: No, the speed at which you study is constant as it is tied to leveling, which is at a consistent rate.

Assuming as skills gets higher, it takes longer to reach the next level of said skill, when do we start talking weeks before a skill gets improved again? Won't it start getting too slow, and people start getting bored of it sort of speak?

A: It does not take longer.

Granted, there are tons of abilities to choose from, but once we have our mind set on a certain set of skills, training/improving new ones no longer comes into play, in my humble opinion. Sure the story/quest/lore seems awesome, but if a character no longer improves at a visible/reasonable rate, many of us might start getting bored, or simply feel like our character is no longer improving. From what I gathered so far, it could take a while, a long while before that happens, but it should eventually happen to most of us, or is there a limit to how long each skills can take to be improved?

A: Characters move on at a constant rate (same answer as above).

For example, let's take a basic fireball. You keep studying it and use it as one of your main attack (fire resistant being taken out of the equation for now), how long would it take for levelling that specific attack? Or will the game adapt to our skill levels, and as such, keep all the skill we use reasonably balanced, and "level up" our enemies, so we keep earning a decent amount of study points, without ending up taking weeks to reach a new level?

A: Yes, enemies level up as well, but in addition, your fireball example, there are diminishing returns, meaning the higher the power of the Ability, the less the gain on the next point added, though they do continue to progress. It is far more likely that players will start working on new Abilities though, as diversity is power in CoS. The further you get in the game, the more diversity you need to succeed. Or, to put it another way, though a single fireball spell might work early in the game, it will not be sufficient later. Monsters become more diverse, and how you deal with each one becomes a new challenge.

Since there is no grinding in the game, and no respawning npc's, I'm assuming skills can be leveled up when you level up, and that xp is mostly generated from your performances during the stories. If that is the case, Am I correct in assuming that a player that does reasonably well, will keep levelling his abilities within a reasonably equal time frame everytime?

A: Yes

Or are the quests so different, than no average can be given, and as such, levelling will be completly random and different for each characters depending on how it performs during the various quests, each with a very different and unpredictable time frame?

A: Also true. Leveling will be constant for a typical player, but two different player at different play styles may level at different speeds.

If that is so, isn't there a risk that a quest could end up taking so long that your player does not level up for ages?

A: Theoretically possible, but unlikely. There are many ways to level up, Quests are only one. So if it is taking too long to finish a quest, players can take on shorter game play choices, like Adventures, or League Actions, or Bounty Hunting.

Sorry about the many questions, but I'm so puzzled and intrigued by this game and its design ^_^.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:32 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Dear lord, the more you answer, the more I want cos :).

Thank you very much for your answers.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Wyndyn wrote:
"Passing on" an account is probably against the Terms of Use, so discussing that possibility seems pointless.

Pointless or not it may happen in the future.....
Also cant say for sure i will be allowed to always play the game[especially as its so ....{cannot describe the pull it has}] by myself in the future......
I will be quite happy to let a few others play the game besides meself especially as i will get old[or maybe not in real life]....
I believe they will be hardcore gamers such as me.....

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:48 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Hey Squishy

Those are very valid concerns, but you have to remember that we're designing this game with Sequels in mind that take place within the same world.

Our idea is to time things properly as far as release goes so that your character grows at about (maybe slightly slower) the same pace as our game world and sequels are coming to you.*** The acquisition of abilities, equipment, levels, is all taken into consideration and balanced for that very purpose.

Also, remember that as you go up in level, the monsters you are facing have access to the same number of abilities as you do. They might also have different specialties than you have, and you may want to pick up abilities you hadn't considered before to combat certain strategies you're coming across.

Our AI is nothing like you've ever seen in other MMO's, so it's really important to understand that it will have an enormous impact on the abilities you choose, especially later in the game. Not only is the AI vastly different, but the myriad of ways we give you to solve problems is also a radical change. You need to storm a castle - do you sneak in? Do you disguise yourself? Do you confuse the guards with a distraction? Do you just storm the gates and hope for the best?

We can't give too many concrete details about how long levels will take, or how much you can put into a skill before diminishing returns takes over. Although we do have some things set, this area of the game requires extensive play testing, we're not going to post anything here that we can't say for certain is going to be in the game.

***The reason for the asterisk is that, as Jatar mentioned in other threads, we can't always account for the 24/7 player who lives in a basement and has pizza's slid under the door while he plays the game on 3 screens with 3 accounts.

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:57 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

*giggles* at the idea of a player living in his basement :).

I'm just on holidays at home at the moment, so I have a lot of free time, for now. It will not last though :).

Y'all appeased my concerns, as for the first time in a long while, I do trust game makers again :), and that says a lot considering the history of mmo's :).

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 am 
Producer
Producer

Raevyn wrote:
***The reason for the asterisk is that, as Jatar mentioned in other threads, we can't always account for the 24/7 player who lives in a basement and has pizza's slid under the door while he plays the game on 3 screens with 3 accounts.

<-- Representing.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:04 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Morphael wrote:
Raevyn wrote:

<-- Representing.

<-- Wishes he could represent. I'd love to be one of those players who can put in 300 hour months into CoS. :(

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:40 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

Im gonna put in 600-1800Hrs then
Solely for COS......

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play